Tips for all ages – It’s time to take some control!
With all the online mischief you hear about, you may feel that staying safe online is impossible, but that’s not true. Read here to know more about internet safety.
Learn the basics – it’s actually easier than you think with this guide I put together to help you out. Educate yourself – You don’t need to be the next victim. Better to be safe than sorry.
For the longest time, access to the internet was limited. Now, for most, the internet has become a part of our daily routines, making dramatic changes along the way. Some may argue that this is for the better, while on the other side some say it is the worst. If you think about it, the internet has changed everything around us and everything we do. We find ourselves connecting, creating and sharing. We’re always connected, now more than ever. As the internet matures to reach its peak, it’s quite the achievement that it has come so far in a relatively short amount of time. For most of us, our day starts by emailing or checking notifications.
The Internet of Things, also known as IoT, is here and it is changing lives. The Internet of Things has embedded itself into many devices with even more set to be connected to the internet within the upcoming years. Everything we use has a relationship with the internet. Most of our technology gadgets connect with the internet including smartphones, wearable tech, tablets, computers, cars and most things in the home, just to name a few. When it comes to technology, the future looks like it’s going on a fast, wild ride – users with smart tech need to be just as smart as their devices.
We are all targets from bad actors. You may not have thought about it but anything you connect to the IoT is at risk of being attacked. With that being said, these risks are growing everyday. No device is entirely safe. It’s important to think a few steps forward before you set your gear up. Take care of your devices like they are about to be stolen – how prepared are you? Any device that connects with the internet needs to be protected against digital dangers. If you don’t know if you are currently running the latest software or you’re unsure of your security protocols, now is the time to take the complete steps to secure all your devices. Let’s have a better understanding together by reducing the risk with these tips to help keep you and your devices safe as much as possible.
Smart Users & Their Smart Devices – Protecting yourself in an IoT world!
1. Keep all your IoT devices up to date – Once you set up your new toy with all your favourite apps, make a habit of checking for new updates. New versions are more secure as they patch known security vulnerabilities, making sure you are safer than before.
2. Install Reliable Antivirus Software – Antivirus software will scan your computer thoroughly on a regular basis checking for strange behaviours. It is one of the most important steps you should take to keep your devices clean. Make sure your software is set to automatically check for updates on a regular basis.
3. Know where your information is being stored – Think about what makes the device smart. Where is your data being stored? How will it be secured? Who owns it? Know your personal limits when it comes to data sharing! You have every right to know where your information is being stored.
4. Safe Click – Know what you are clicking on. Always take caution when clicking on links in email or downloading attachments you are unaware of. If you don’t know what it is, don’t click on it.
5. Good Password Management – Create a strong password and make it unique, using more than 8 mixed characters, and never use the same password on more than one website or account.
Looking for more security tips and information? Stay tuned for more tips!